We are looking for experienced timber frame structural carpenters to join our teams in Devon and Scotland.
Working for Carpenter Oak is more of a vocation than a job. For us, it’s all about the right kind of people and we try to offer them a fully rounded lifestyle choice, to live and work hard in a beautiful part of Devon or Scotland.
Given the right person, we develop, train and help you build a long term career as professional traditional timber frame carpenter. As well as a CV, it’s just as important to also send a cover letter telling us a little about yourself – what it is about being a timber frame carpenter that’s important or interesting to you, and perhaps what it is about heritage craft skills that attract you to want to build beautiful contemporary timber frame structures. We’d also like to hear what appeals to you about working with us in a geographical sense – whether you’re a local or reading this from the other side of the world.
Our work covers the full spectrum of timber builds, from major heritage projects through to exciting contemporary timber engineering schemes; both residential and commercial. This is an opportunity to learn and grow fast, in an energetic and committed environment.
If you want to join a progressive, increasingly employee owned business, which is setting out its plans for the next twenty years, whilst utilising your carpentry skills and experience on a wide range of build projects, using a variety of materials and methods, then we want to hear from you.
No specific qualifications are required, but any of the following would be useful:
– Carpentry qualifications: NVQ, City & Guilds etc.
– CSCS card, H&S test, first aid, forklift, chainsaw, scaffold towers
– Crane & lifting operations: Slinger, Lift Supervisor, Appointed Person
• Enthusiasm, enjoyment for work. Eagerness to learn and develop.
• Forward thinking, solutions focussed
• Conscientious and self-responsible
• Humility, willingness to take instruction
• Care and attention to detail
• Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
• Good organisational and planning skills
• Effective communication skills
• Ability to work in a close team and aware of the needs of others
• High degree of autonomy and ability to work on own initiative
• Clear thinking and practically minded
• Ability to learn and assimilate information and new techniques
• High degree of spatial awareness and 3D thinking
• Reasonable mathematics ability
• Focus on quality
• Exercise care & attention to detail
• Tidy, productive, efficient
• Physically fit and able
• Good hand-eye coordination and ability to pick up hand skills
• Methodical and careful in practice
• Confidence working at height
• Willingness to work outdoors, in very challenging conditions, in all weathers
Desirable skills and experience:
• Understanding of timber
• Green woodworking
• Carpentry experience especially roofing
• Hands-on building experience and site work
• Interpreting architects details and construction drawings
• Trigonometry and geometry
• Use & maintenance of power tools and hand tools
• Project management
• Working with and/or managing teams
– 20 days holiday (plus bank holidays), rising to 22 after 5 years
– Company matched pension scheme
– Company matched healthcare scheme
– Holiday pension
– Tool allowance
– Plenty of free firewood!
For more details and to apply – please email your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, for the attention of Laura Butlin.