Posted on: 29th June 2022


If your build project does not fall within your permitted development rights, we can help you with how to get planning permission, guiding you through the planning application process.

A good first step to working out whether your project is going to be contentious in planning terms, is to check the designations of the land you are building on. The list below will help you to think about all the possible designations which can affect the success of your planning application, and gives links to websites where you can check whether your site falls within these designations.

The Interactive Planning Map on your Local Authority’s website is a particularly good source of information.

Designation Source
Planning Authority
Greenbelt Area
Conservation Area Local interactive planning map / local plan
Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
National Park
World Heritage Site
Listed building or near a listed building?
Tree Preservation Orders Local interactive planning map / local plan
Flood Risk


Help with planning permission

An architect can advise you on the planning process and put together your planning application for you. Carpenter Oak has an in-house architectural service – please get in touch with us for more information about this. If you’ve already appointed an architect it’s always worth sending us your drawings before you submit your Planning Application, so that we can make any suggestions which might make the design more suitable for an oak framed home.

For particularly contentious Planning Applications, a planning consultant can assist the architect with their detailed planning knowledge. They are experts in the field and can help in obtaining permission for projects with complex needs. If your project is in South West England we have planning consultants we worked with before and can recommend.

Your local authority (LA) will be able to help during the initial stages – for example in most LAs you may be able to see your duty planning officer (check with your LA for what is available).

You also have the option to add a pre-application process to your planning application. This means submitting some information to planners for consultation before submitting formal plans. The feedback you receive from the planners will help you to align your proposal with planning policy. This is a good option if you’re flexible and able to make changes in line with advice from the planners. Another benefit to pre-applications is that you can submit as much or as little information as you want (for example you don’t have to necessarily provide any drawings) and you will be given a chance to talk to planners about your build (this is face-to-face or via video call).

Planning permission costs

The costs associated with planning applications need to be included in your project costs.

  • Pre-applications cost around £200 (plus any extra costs for drawings which may change once you have received feedback from the planners).
  • Planning application fees vary, so a useful resource to find out what you may have to pay is the Planning Portal’s fee calculator.
  • Consultations with a planning consultant are around £500.

Can I appeal if I don’t get consent?

Yes, you can appeal if you feel your application was not granted because of an error on behalf of your local council. Many councils have established a fast-track process for cases in which there is no obvious reason why consent was denied and you will be informed of any extra cost involved in making an appeal. If you are confident that an error has been made, it’s worth appealing. After all, what have you got to lose?

What happens if I build without consent or approval?

If you build without getting approval, your property could be seized or demolished, and it is unlikely that a mortgage lender will give you a loan for a property where planning permission hasn’t been granted, which is why this is such an important part of your build project.


If you have any questions about planning please contact us – our in-house architect can provide help and advice, as well as offering a full architectural service.

Please note: this advice refers to England and Wales, please see advice for Scotland and Northern Ireland.